Sunday, January 23, 2011

I love my brother Sam

Last night was interesting. My brother went to Lexington for the first time to visit friends. The plan was for him to stay the night in Lex with his friends. To my dismay, I ended up receiving a phone call at 9:30 p.m asking me to pick him up.

Of course I was happy to do so. For years, my brother has dropped me off and picked me up from many places. He has always had my back and has always been there for me. It felt so good to be able to finally help him out.

As I was driving to Lexington, which is not too far from where I live in Richmond, I kept thinking, "why does he need me to pick him up", "what if someone is bullying him or making fun of him". I began freaking out. I was getting my mind in the zone of how I would defend my little brother. Once I reached the dorm room he was hanging out at, he quickly came out and hopped in my car.

I asked him what was wrong and he said he just "wasn't feeling it".  I was relieved no one was being mean to him. Soon enough we finally made it to my apartment where I took over the "mom role", making him pizza rolls, getting him glasses of water, making his "bed" (aka my futon), and scrambling for blankets and pillows.

We watched a few episodes of "Friends" and then we both parted our ways to go to sleep. My brother and I used to hangout all the time as little kids and it was so nice to be able to spend quality time with him. Through our teen years our bond dwindled, however now that we are older and wiser we are finally getting closer. I am lucky to have such an amazing brother and I am so grateful that I finally go to be there for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment